Lunar Eclipse Wheat -- 1.050 -- 1.012 -- 5% ABV
Rudy Lycanthrope -- 1.050
12 lbs Wheat Malt
3 lbs Munich Malt
3 lbs Caravienne Malt
3 lbs Aromatic Malt
3oz Hallertauer (3.8% AA)-- 60 minutes
Lunar Eclipse -- Wyeast 3068
Rudy Lycanthrope -- S-04 then buggs
10.5 gallons strike water
5 gallons sparge water + additions for decoction boil-off
Here's the plan: Initial protein rest will be at 122 degrees. After twenty minutes, I will pull a large (about a third of the mash) decoction and heat it to 155. I will hold it there with a lid and a sleeping bag for about fifteen minutes before bringing to a boil. At that point I will add the decoction to the main mash until the saccrification temperature of 146. This rest will be held for one hour, and then another smaller decoction will be pulled and boiled to bring the mash to mash-out temperature (around 170).
Brew Day Reflections:
Everything went great great until it was time to use the chiller. I had become pretty careless to use the pot I used for decoctions to add either the sparge water or some of the first runnings into the kettle. Shit got clogged. Bad. I abandoned the chiller and went old-school with the immersion chiller, that I am glad that I still have to use as my pre-chiller. Also, this batch will prove whether or not Star-San is harmful since I forgot that I had packed the chiller with it after my last brew about a month ago, so when I turned it on to sanitize (it wasn't clogged at this point), and about a pint became integrated with the wort in the kettle -- and I was sober too.
12.11.11 -- Pitched yeast into both beers
Lunar Eclipse Notes:
12.29.11 -- Gravity reads 1.012. Kegged.
Rudy Lycanthrope Notes:
12.21.11 -- racked into a secondary and dosed with bugs from Dirty Blonde, Gueuze Tilquin and Wiezen Bam, as well as the dregs from one bottle of Orval. Gravity was 1.014.
12.11.12 -- 1.5oz Medium Toast Hungarian oak cubes
1.20.13 - Tasted for wood flavors. They were noticeable, but still faint. I will try again in about two weeks.
2.18.13 - Tasted again, and wood flavors are still a little faint. Since cubes work slower, I am going to let this sit a while longer. Sourness is good, and seems to have reached a terminal level. I should consider a turbid or other specific mash to let bugs get to more sugar (next time around).
Post a Comment