Dec 26, 2011

1911 Boston Rustler

1911 Boston Rustler 
1.051 -- 1.012 -- 5.1% ABV
38 IBU 

My go at Classic American Pilsner using American Ale yeast at a low temperature.  This will also be a bit of a diversion since I am only brewing five gallons, and I am doing it inside.  If this method works well, I may do this a little more often in between cranking up the big brewery.  I would like for this to become a way to make smaller, perhaps historical batches.

I chose the name based on the Braves namesake of that particular year, as well as to commemorate the centennial of such.  2011 also marks what I believe to be the centennial of our home.  I was conflicted with the option of naming the beer "Red CAP" since the Red Caps were the original name of the Braves, and CAP for obvious reasons, but I did not want one to expect a red beer.  I may end up using that name later, as I do like it very much, and it lends itself to telling the story of how the Red Sox stole the eventual Braves name.

Recipe here:

Everything about the recipe is accurate with the exception of the IBUs.  I will collect about 4.6 gallons pre-boil, and then will dillute with purified water post-boil.  The gravity of the actual boil will diminish the hop utilization level by a few points.
Reflections on Brewday:
Brewing inside was a nice change, but it still took almost as long.  I need to remember what a pain in the ass whole hops can be, even when I am not using a plate chiller.  Next time I do this, I will use hop bags or the spider-type strainer I made.  This would have helped make wort collection easier.  Chilling was the highpoint -- much faster than normal, which I attribute to chilling a much smaller volume (4 gallons) and then diluting it with bottled water.

1911 Boston Rustler Notes:
12.30.11 -- pitched yeast
1.15.12 -- Gravity reads 1.012 (76% attenuated -- calling it done)


4.19.12 -- The 1911 Rustler turned out quite good, though the only measurement I can use is the BJCP style guide, which supports this claim. This beer features both a corn sweetness and high level of bitterness that are not seen in modern American lagers. Fermenting this with US-05 at low temperatures (and then lagering for 2+ months) really helped as well. This is something I will make again. Very drinkable.

No comments: