I chose the name based on the Braves namesake of that particular year, as well as to commemorate the centennial of such. 2011 also marks what I believe to be the centennial of our home. I was conflicted with the option of naming the beer "Red CAP" since the Red Caps were the original name of the Braves, and CAP for obvious reasons, but I did not want one to expect a red beer. I may end up using that name later, as I do like it very much, and it lends itself to telling the story of how the Red Sox stole the eventual Braves name.
Everything about the recipe is accurate with the exception of the IBUs. I will collect about 4.6 gallons pre-boil, and then will dillute with purified water post-boil. The gravity of the actual boil will diminish the hop utilization level by a few points.
Brewing inside was a nice change, but it still took almost as long. I need to remember what a pain in the ass whole hops can be, even when I am not using a plate chiller. Next time I do this, I will use hop bags or the spider-type strainer I made. This would have helped make wort collection easier. Chilling was the highpoint -- much faster than normal, which I attribute to chilling a much smaller volume (4 gallons) and then diluting it with bottled water.
1911 Boston Rustler Notes:
12.30.11 -- pitched yeast
1.15.12 -- Gravity reads 1.012 (76% attenuated -- calling it done)
4.19.12 -- The 1911 Rustler turned out quite good, though the only measurement I can use is the BJCP style guide, which supports this claim. This beer features both a corn sweetness and high level of bitterness that are not seen in modern American lagers. Fermenting this with US-05 at low temperatures (and then lagering for 2+ months) really helped as well. This is something I will make again. Very drinkable.