Jan 7, 2008

Grinderman

You don't give a fuck what I think, and you shouldn't. This is not a record review because you do not give a fuck what I think, and I would not be a cheeky bastard to think that you would. The extroverted world of blogging, however, gives me a platform to tell you something about this record that I liked, like I am someone who has some sort of authority to tell you something about how you might appreciate a piece of art. I am not doing that, so get off my nuts. This is the reason I do not do album reviews, not that this is one, because I have to go through all this shit before I even get to the music. Fuck.

At the end of the year 2007 I reviewed other blogs for best-of lists before procuring a handful of albums. The above-pictured Grinderman was perhaps my favorite. Grinderman is the new band featuring Nick Cave, whom I am pretty unfamiliar musically. I saw a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds performance at Lollapolooza in 1994, and I thought it sucked ass. I was twenty, so I probably did not know any better. Oh, you fuckin' care.

Of the three selections below, "No Pussy Blues" reminded me of Bob Dylan's "Gates of Eden" for no immediately apparent reasons; "Honey Bee" has notes of The Butthole Surfers' Independent Worm Saloon, and I put "Man in the Moon" in there because it was a little different than the others.

Two other things that make this album rad: they have an electric bouzouki player, and there is a monkey grabbing his nuts on the cover.

Download "No Pussy Blues" via Mediafire
Download "Honey Bee (Let's Fly to Mars) via Mediafire
Download "Man in the Moon" via Mediafire

No comments: